Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday Night

Well, daughter delivered a hefty, 9 pound 10 ounce boy at 22:06 Saturday night after a very difficult labor.  Her friend was unable to be there with Jenny's for the birth b/c the friend was out of town, so I was the only person there with her other than her doula.  I'm sooo glad I made the decision to extend my time up here!!

I was at my sister's when my daughter called saying she had bad itching in her palms.  It was so bad that she felt like tearing the skin off.  She'd looked it up and discovered it could be a symptom on intrahepatic cholestasis - a serious condition of the liver which could be fatal to the baby.  My sister told her to call her doula immediately.  They had her come in to the hospital to check her liver.  They took blood tests and were waiting for results of others when they decided they'd better induce her labor in an abundance of caution.  Apparently, they'd lost a baby to this unusual complication only a few weeks earlier.  Jenny insisted upon going home first.  She'd been unprepared to stay at the hospital and wanted to pack her bag and take care of her dogs.  She was back at the hospital about 01:00 or so and called us back.  My sister woke up her husband and we all set out for the military  hospital.  At this point, the last time I'd slept was Thursday night.  We got there at the hospital around 03:30 or so.  They didn't actually start the Petocin until around 08:00, after having a LOT of trouble getting an IV in my poor daughter. 

Jenny's friend finally got there around an hour and a half after my grandson's birth.  She brought food!!! Neither of us had eaten all day long!  We sure were happy to see her!!  She's to be the baby's godmother.  She drove me home after Jenny and baby were settled into a room.  I was beyond exhausted.  The night had been so intense - baby was so large he was stuck.  It was only through the efforts of the doula and midwife that Jenny avoided a c-section.  Baby Matthew's heart rate was dipping dangerously low as Jenny was trying to push him out.  I was doing much more - physically - than I should have been.  I kept taking a pain pill when things got really bad, and forging ahead. 
When godmom took me home to Jenny's house, I was all but immobile.  I slept til 13:30, got up for about an hour but was so exhausted and in pain that I just went back to bed.  I've had to take a higher dosage of pain medication than I've had to use in about a week now.  My chest hurts so bad and I can hardly use my arms.  Guess I set myself back somewhat.  I'm really hoping that I'll be better enough tomorrow so that I can cook her a good dinner when she comes home.  Another of her friends agreed to come by tomorrow to take me to the store to get some supplies.

So, I'm here alone at my daughter's house.  I washed her bedding so she'd have a fresh bed when she gets home.  Taking care of her sweet doggies.  On one hand, I'm glad that I'll be here for a few days after she's home with the baby - but I want to go home so badly I can't even let myself think about it. 

So, that's what's happening in my world.  I'm a grandma!! 

2 comments:

  1. We are GRANDMAS!! Hooray! So excited! What a new dimension this will add to our lives! I adore you, as always. Please, please, please... do not take care of Jenny so much that you don't take care of yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, that is a huge baby. Congrats! I know you and Cecilia are going to spoil that kid rotten. :)

    ReplyDelete